Friday, December 5, 2008

Careful there, Britney!

I'll yell it from the rooftops that I'm from Fargo, but when it comes to claiming our fair city's newspaper, The Fargo Forum, pass. Big pass. Apparently it was Pulitzer Prize winning at some point, a point that must have been quite awhile ago because for as long as I remember, the writing has been pretty weak (though oddly it produced rock writer darling Chuck Klosterman, which should maybe give me some sort of vague hope). This article that Alli tipped me off to is a prime example: "In her 27th year, will Britney die?" Apparently since a host of other music icons haven't made it past 27 (which I personally didn't think was THAT bad of an age) and she just turned 27 and has been having some issues, the author is attempting to put 2 and 2 together. But it's not making 4, or 27, or anything close to it. I'm not a Britney fan but I do admit to her importance in music; however, I don't hear her name and immediatly think of Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, or anyone else on the magical list of Dead at 27 (which, oddly, is fairly extensive). The author's reasoning is pretty weak, not to mention poorly written. He didn't even bother to make the obvious connection to musician Robert Johnson, a blues musician who died at 27 and is the center of the myth involving the word "Crossroads", which also happens to be the name of a movie Britney was in! See, THAT is good investigative reporting. Fork it over, Pulitzer committee!

1 comment:

Alli said...

Chuck Klosterman is a douche...