Friday, December 5, 2008

Strike a pose, not a nerve, please

I heart Vogue magazine. You wouldn't know it to look at me, messy hair and worn-in jeans I constantly tug at the waist on cause I can't get a good fit down and all, but I do love it. I eat it up every month since heck yes I subscribe, to Elle also. The upside of this is I generally like the majority of at least one of the two mags a month, and they're hella expensive to buy on the news stand; the downside of this is that if you don't necessarily care for the cover subject, you're a bit out of luck. Elle screwed me two times in a row with Jessica Simpson then Mariah Carey. Vogue is usually fairly reliable, although I don't get the Kate Hudson obsession. What threw me for a loop is when they put Jennifer Aniston on this last cover. I don't necessarily not like her; she's just not my fav. What really perturbed me is that they put this quote of hers on the cover: "What Angelina did was really uncool." Wha? Vogue, come on. When I want to read things like that, I pick up Us or InTouch or Okay or one of the millions of other options for celeb gossip. It was odd enough you put her on the cover (she doesn't really scream fashion iconish to me). Apparently Ms. Aniston was a bit thrown off too, as MSN's own gossipy section has her as saying, "I was just surprised that Vogue would go so tabloid. I was bummed. But you almost expect it. Big deal. Done. Next." I haven't read the article and really didn't plan on it so I don't know how the quote came about, but putting it on the cover to up your sales when the rest of your magazine content has nothing to do with such a thing? Pretty uncool, Vogue.

No comments: