Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We've been waiting for this hour- history you're ours! (thanks, Hov!)

I am watching the Neighborhood Ball which my aunt told me the Obamas had for their campaign workers who were not able to get tickets to the swearing-in. She called me to switch the station right before Beyonce sang "At Last" for the Obamas' first dance. 

Scene:
Kate, in the kitchen fryin up some veggies crumbles with taco seasoning; cell phone rings. Auntie asks if I am busy watching TV (she knows me well)- no I am watching TV but not busy. Switch to channel 5- Neighborhood Ball, then she quickly says she'll talk to me later and I can tell she is already getting choked up. She rivals Alison in the quick to cry at happy/touching events. 

Beyonce is on a floating circular mini-stage and they first show her from the back. My first thought is DAMN that dress is unflattering. I think I said out loud that B was looking thicker.  

And then she starts singing and the Obamas start dancing and I just started crying. 

It was the most beautiful thing I have seen on TV.  You gotta see the video if you didn't catch it live. I'll post it when I find it.  And- LOVED Michelle's dress. Lady knows how to wear clothes. 

I feel spoiled that I only had two wait through 2 disappointing election nights and term starts (as disappointing as they were) before getting to tonight. I can't imagine how I would feel if it had been 5, or 15 inaugurations. 


No comments: